Carmencita, Paul, and I always grab lunch at Togo’s before our staff meetings on minimum days. Due to an unusually high amount of road work today, we were blocked access from our lunch spot. We decided to go to La Bou instead, since it is another one of our favorite sandwich places. Today I strayed from my usual BLT on baguette and ordered a roast beef and cheddar panini instead. Carmencita asked how it was and said it probably wasn’t as good as the paninis I make. What an opportune comment this was given that I’ve been undecided about which recipe to post this week. Thus, the inspiration behind this post was born.
This panini is easy peasy. You add the ingredients you want and omit those you don’t. After you build the sandwich, grill it until the cheese melts. That’s it. Done and done.
California BLT Panini
- sliced sourdough, lightly buttered
- sliced medium cheddar cheese
- tomato slices
- chipotle mayo (mix mayo and adobo sauce together–more adobo sauce if you like it spicy, less if you’re a lightweight)
- guacamole (avocado, tomato, red onion, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper)
Build the sandwich in the following order:
- one slice of bread
- a schmear of chipotle mayo
- two slices of cheddar
- a heavy layer of guacamole
- four slices of bacon
- two to four tomato slices, depending on the size of your tomato
- two additional slices of cheddar
- the top slice of bread
Grill the panini using your preferred method until the bread is crispy and the cheese has completely melted. Enjoy!