This is the BF’s recipe for stuffed mushrooms. He learned it from his sister, who learned it from Betty Crocker. The stuffing for these mushrooms is so delicious that I triple the recipe and use it as my Thanksgiving stuffing. This is a great make-ahead side dish as well. Prep and stuff the mushrooms the day before, then all you have to do on the day of is pop them in the oven for less than 20 minutes.
**Note: These mushrooms can also be made vegetarian by omitting the sausage. 🙂
Italian Stuffed Mushrooms
- 2 dozen white mushrooms
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning (I use a mix of rosemary, thyme, basil, and oregano)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Preheat oven to 350° degrees.
Clean mushrooms. Remove stems and finely chop to measure 1/4 cup.
Melt butter over medium high heat. Cook mushroom stems, onions, bell pepper, and garlic until softened. While cooking, add herbs, salt, and pepper. Once softened, remove from heat and stir in bread crumbs. Fill mushroom caps with mixture.
Place mushrooms on a buttered baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, set oven to broil. Broil mushrooms for 2 minutes or until tops are golden brown.